Permissible Arms

Stop Loss Special Pay, Round Two

Posted in admin, us military by Karaka on 2 November 2009

The past seven days have been a vast sucking void of nothingness, and I really hope I’m back to normal. I guess we’ll see.

In an attempt to get back into SOP around here, here’s what I did Friday morning:

There’s nothing quite like having a conversation with the DoD at eight in the morning. The burden of being on the West Coast, I suppose. Anyway, here’s some relevant information about Stop Loss Pay:

  • If you served on active duty between Sept. 11, 2001 and Sept. 30, 2009 and were stop-lossed, you should be eligible for special or retroactive pay.
  • You must file a claim yourself; this isn’t an automatic process. The claim must be filed with the appropriate documentation indicating your stop loss activation.
  • Your claim must be filed by October 21, 2010. The stop loss program is very short, so do it ASAP.
  • Retired/separated servicemembers and family of deceased servicemembers can apply for the program with the appropriate documentation.
  • Servicemembers who are already receiving Stop Loss special pay from fiscal year 2009 are not eligible for this program.
  • Reserve members keep active under Stop Loss were made inactive in August/September of 2009. The goal is to do the same for the standing members by January 2010.
  • There is an appeal process in place for servicemembers who are denied Stop Loss special pay under this program, in cases where documentation has been lost or other reasons.

At its height in 2005, over 16,000 members of the armed forces were active under Stop Loss. The current figure is about 9,100. Seven months was the average time of service under Stop Loss; there was no comprehensive record kept in each service branch of the members who were stop-lossed, but the estimate is 185,000 people. That lack of accurate record is why this claims process is in place, so please pass on this post and reblog this information.

  • For the Marines, go here or email
  • For the Army, go here or email
  • For the Air Force, go here.
  • The Navy currently does not have a site for Stop Loss, but you can email for information on how to file your claim.
  • If you were in the National Guard and were stop-lossed, you should also be able to make a claim, but I can’t find a website for it and it wasn’t provided in the released material.

You can also read the DoD order here as enacted by the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2009.

I think everything I have is accurate and factual, but if I have made a mistake please let me know. Also, please pass on this information, either by linking to this post or by posting the information yourself–there’s no central website to inform or process this program, and there’s no national media campaign planned; I think it’s important to inform as many people as possible. I’ve copied all the HTML into a Word doc that you can download here, to copy and paste into your own blog/website. Thanks to the nice folks at DoDLive and the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs (that’s a mouthful) for their invitation and information.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: